Apple has released firmware version 2.2 for the iPhone and iPod touch. The update can be found through iTunes’ software update. Apple recommends updating iPhone or iPod touch to use the latest software. You can also restore the software, which puts iPhone or iPod touch back to its factory condition.
To update to firmware OS 2.2, just do the following:
1. Make sure you are using iTunes 8. Connect your iPhone to your computer.
2. When iTunes opens, select your iPhone under Devices in the Source List on the left.
3. Click Update, and then choose the firmware v2.2 IPSW file downloaded. .
4. Let iTunes upgrade the device.
You know, iTunes isn’t the only way to get your iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPod touch, or iPod touch 2G firmware updated to version 2.2. You can directly get the firmware/software update files themselves (or IPSWs as they’re most commonly called) directly without having to click the RESTORE or UPDATE button in iTunes at all. How? Through direct download links, of course, which are available below.
Here are the iPhone and iPod Touch Firmware 2.2 Direct Download Links:-
- iPhone 3G
firmware software v2.2: iPhone1,2_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw
- iPhone (2G)
firmware software 2.2: iPhone1,1_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw
- iPod Touch 2nd Generation OS 2.2: iPod2,1_2.2_5G77a_Restore.ipsw
- iPod Touch 1st Generation OS 2.2: iPod1,1_2.2_5G77_Restore.ipsw (protected depends on versions)
Firmware 2.2 also fixes an issue with App Store links in mobile Safari. Clicking a link now takes the user to the appropriate item in the mobile App Store application.
Afterwards, you can then proceed to doing the actual jailbreak or unlock with QuickPwn or the just released yellowsn0w for iPhone 3Gs.